Monday, June 29, 2020

Reminiscing in the Midst of this Pandemic




(Written last 06 May 2020)

Early on, I knew that I had a knack for remembering things - be it random ideas or memories in time. Back in the day, I memorized acronyms and song lyrics, effectively made use of mnemonics and recited provisions of law in toto. I am also keen on detail as I could go way back into remembering what song I sang for Filipino Week when I was still in my kindergarten year or taking note of my boss’ favorite dish. I take pride in the fact that my memory serves me well.

Or so I thought. 

Sometimes, I think you like to purposely beat me where it hurts. I guess we’ve always thrived in an environment of healthy competition.

But through time, you’ve proven to me that you were always a step ahead- like how you would remember to get me planner stickers at Starbucks even before I could ask; or when I always try to make you feel guilty that you forget our monthsary. Because you never do. You sometimes pretend, but you most often than not remember it more than I do. 

That’s just probably how you’re wired. I can play my mind games with you all I want but I cannot simply win. Forgetting is just not possible because your memory never falters.

A few days ago, I relentlessly tried to start a fight again. And I know you’ve already figured out that sometimes, I have a fascination and talent for starting an argument on its own. So I asked you if you can still recall where we celebrated our first anniversary. To my surprise, you told me the exact place where we dined. You also told me that you wore a Pink Polo Shirt that night. And I didnt believe you because I never thought that you would actually remember what you wore that night. When I browsed through my old photos, that’s when I realized that you were right after all. You really were a sight in pink.

When I sent you the photo through Messenger, you simply told me this, “I told you I remember that day perfectly. Gwapa kaayo ka ana. ðŸ˜˜

Between the two of us, I can probably let this go and willingly concede that you have a better and sharper memory. 

And when you tell me that you love me more than I do, I guess I am now inclined to believe you after all. 

Amidst this quarantine, I am still lucky. And that’s because I have you. Now & Always ðŸ˜Š

No comments:

Post a Comment